Russia: One Blogger's Dream Come True

Global Voices Online
Sunday, February 25, 2007


LJ user bogomolov (Aleksandr Bogomolov, a Russian journalist) shares this story about a dream come true (RUS):

An old joke, very good, very clever:

Two Soviet violinists are in the same train compartment, on the way back home from abroad, from an international music competition. The first one, a "plainclothes" violinist [an undercover KGB agent], finished last, but is happy in general. The second one is a very promising young man - he came in second and is pulling his hair in despair. To console him, the first one says:

- Why are you so upset? Second place isn't that bad...
- You see, the man who won was allowed to play [Niccolo Paganini's] violin.
- So what?
- Let me explain to you. For me, to play Paganini's violin is like for you to shoot from [Felix Dzerzhinsky's Mauser].


Well, yesterday I had a chance to shoot from a Dzerzhinsky's Mauser of my own - I played hockey on the ice of the [Luzhniki] Small Sports Arena. The place where I've been watching my favorite team - [HC Dynamo Moscow] - play since I was 5 or so [since around 1984]. Some of you may think it's not a big deal, but to me, especially then, to come out onto this rink seemed like a dream that would never come true. But here I was, out on that rink.

Usually, they write that a dream come true turns out to be a disappointment. Not for me. I'm very happy. Even though we lost. But I did score once. And in general, I was filled with the most positive emotions. And now I'm sending my own rays of happiness over to you.

And I'm wishing every one of you to reach that Dzerzhinsky's Mauser of your own one day. And if you write here what your personal Mauser is like, it won't be bad, either.


In his LJ profile (RUS), bogomolov describes himself as a universal Dynamo Moscow fan (hockey, football, etc.); his "political views are very disorderly and don't fit into the framework of any existing ideology." In a comment, he explains further what kind of dream he meant when he wrote the entry:

A Mauser is something instantaneous. You've done your shooting and feel happy.

No comments: