Global Voices Online
Monday, April 20, 2009
Below is a follow-up to the three earlier GV posts (here, here, and here) on the blog coverage of the protests and rioting in Chisinau, Moldova, that followed the April 5 election.
Lyndon of Scraps of Moscow flew to Moldova's capital shortly after the violent events of Tuesday, April 7, and wrote this on his return:
[...] Although I missed the real action (which, since it now appears to have resulted in the loss of at least two lives, should perhaps not be trivialized), I felt like I was there for the second-most-important thing: the days during which Moldovans - opposition voters and PCRM voters; educated and otherwise; Russophone, Romania-oriented and otherwise - were doing their best to make sense of what had happened.
I heard a lot of different versions of the events of last Tuesday, none of which was entirely satisfying, and accumulated about 30 pages of notes which I'm now attempting to filter (for rumors, with which the city was rife) and distill into something that might help outsiders make sense of the situation there. [...]
Lyndon's photos from his trip to Chisinau are here.
On April 19, Lyndon wrote that he was "still trying to figure everything out." In this post, however, as well as in at least half a dozen others (tagged "Grape Revolution"), Lyndon has been linking to and commenting on some relevant coverage, background and analysis.
Here are some more links to bloggers' opinions on the events in Moldova and the coverage they have received:
- April 8 - The LRC Blog: Moldova’s ‘Twitter Revolution’: Made in America?
- April 9 - Windows to Russia: The Twitter Revolution - "Made in America!"
- April 11 - Sublime Oblivion: Twitter Terror in Moldova
- April 14 - Foreign Policy Association's Russia: Revolutionary Relativism: Moldova vs Georgia
- April 15 - Turkish Invasion: Hello Moldova!
- April 16 - Eternal Remont: So just who is the poorest in Europe?
- April 16 - Blogactiv.eu: Moldova, Romania’s Dilemma
- April 17 - Russia Blog: Twitter Madness in Chisinau - What Happened in Moldova?